High ceiling makes any room light, spacious and cozy. But what if your flat can’t boast of luxuries of that kind? Let’s use some wiles and designer’s experience and get rid of this problem.
1. Fashionable and affordable way is to install suspended ceilings made of glossy material. This will allow visually increasing height of the room and getting stylish design.
2. Relief construction of multilayer stretch and suspended ceilings helps to visually extend the room. This type of ceiling will steal several centimeters of height but you’ll get an opposite visual effect.
3. Simpler but effective way is to use materials of the same color on the walls and the ceiling. Paint or paper them white or milky. The walls and the ceiling will blend together and the border between them will be less marked.
4. Buy low furniture. Sofas without legs, rack hassock, cabinet furniture – all this will cheat vision and stretch the room upwards.
5. Use furniture of light shades in small rooms. For kitchens select cabinets that are lighter in the upper part and darker in the lower part. This change of colors dissolves the top and underlines dark lower cabinets.
6. Use the same method when selecting border between the walls and the ceiling.
7. Large windows help getting the desirable effect as well. If you haven’t an opportunity to change their size, use curtains and portieres. Install ledge right under the ceiling and let textile to on the floor. Select vertical pattern and light semi-transparent textile for the curtains.
8. Correct immulination is an important stage in struggle with low ceilings. Bulky chandelier hanging from the ceiling will steal precious centimeters. Select ledge lighting and spotlights. Floor lamps and sconces should cast the light upwards. The better the room is illuminated, the higher and more spacious it will look.
9. Any girl knows that vertical strips make the body more slim. This can be applied in the rooms with low ceiling. Paint or paper the walls with vertical strips. But remember that this pattern shouldn’t be thick and too contrast. Otherwise you’ll get an opposite effect.
10. Use the same method when selecting furniture. Place high narrow bookshalves and sliding-door wardrobe to the ceiling.
11. Another good method is to use plinth to match color of the walls. This will stretch the room upwards.
12. High doorways also help to make the ceiling visually higher. Increase height of the doorway up to the ceiling or make a transom above the arch. If you can, don’t use the door at all and simply make the acrh of a drywall.
13. Contrasts on the walls and on the floor also divert attention from the low ceiling. Use bright rug on the dark floor, hang beautiful painting on the wall or paper the walls with mural. The pattern that proceeds from the wall to the ceiling will perfectly increase the height of your room.
14. High palms with narrow trunks, plants with long narrow leaves will help to lift the ceiling visually. If your plants grow in small pots, put them on high pedestals.